Saturday, May 7, 2011

My trip to a Mosque

Friday at 12:30pm I left my class early so I could drive about an hour away to go to a mosque (Islamic place of prayer) to observe the Jumah Prayer for my religion class. I was excited about going and seeing a different religion.

Well... let me tell you how this went.  It was in Indy and I thought it was more north towards Carmel (a wealthier neighborhood) no it was by the fairgrounds which is a very poor, ran down, violent area.  I was by myself and in panic by this time.  I kept driving and could not figure out where this place was.  Mapquest said turn right go 163 ft and turn right again and go 178 feet.  Seriously? How do you measure feet while you are in a car? And let me mention the website shows a nice large building in a family safe community.  Not how I was feeling at the time.  I called my mom bawling because I was scared (I'm a huge baby I know).  Finally, I found it.  I had driven past about 5 times it was just a tiny ran down building squished between two other buildings.  So I maneuver a way to pull into the parking lot and ten minutes til the service was to begin not a single soul was there.  By this time I was really upset and scared and not wanting to go anymore.

Luckily, 2 other girls from my class that I did not know were also going pulled in after.
That helped make things better.

It was interesting sitting there during the service and not what I had expected.  None of them were from the middle east ancestry and none of them wore turbines.  Maybe that is just a media portrayed thing.

However; I can now say I stepped out of my comfort zone and experienced another religion.

Welp I have to get to work.  It is a beautiful day out today..Finally!
Have a fabulous weekend.
.A

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a message if you'd like!